- Help kids see themselves as strategic thinkers and achievers who accomplish goals through hard work.
- Ask them to rephrase problems as questions, and then seek to discover possible answers.
- Involve youth in communities, doing research, sharing ideas, and contributing to decision making.
- Set high expectations and support children’s abilities to accomplish goals.
- Teach them to be adaptable, to live without rigid rules or preconceived ideas.
- Describe a time when you worked hard to achieve a goal. What was the goal? What challenges did you overcome? What strengths helped you along the way?
- Share a story about doing something you have done that you once thought you would never have the courage to do.