- Push kids gently to the edges of their intellectual, emotional, social, and physical comfort zones.
- Encourage them to make sustained commitments to activities of their own choice —community service, sports, music, art, and other after-school activities.
- Give youth encouragement and support as they learn to take risks, overcome challenges, and grow from failure.
- Praise them for their initiative, persistence, and grit.
- Let kids know you believe in them and their abilities.
- What lessons of resilience have you learned from how your family or friends have navigated challenging times?
- Describe a time when you felt pushed to your edge intellectually, emotionally, socially or physically. What happened? Who or what helped you through it?